Olamide Adedeji was born on the 15th of March, 1989 in Bariga, Lagos State Nigeria. He attended both primary and high schools in Lagos but for his tertiary education, Olamide attended Tai Solarin University of Education where he studied Mass Communicatiom.
Professional music for the talented Yoruba singer began in 2010 with the release of his first single; ‘Eni Duro’ Eni Duro was released under the Coded Tunes record label which Olamide was signed unto at the time. The song received wide critical acclaim and instantly shot Olamide to limelight.
In 2011, he released his first album titled ‘Rapsodi’ in which he featured several top Nigerian artistses like ID Cabasa, Wizkid, Dbanj, Reminisce and 9ice. It’s needless to say that the album was a huge success.
Olamide didn’t rest on his oars after the success of his first album, in 2012; he went on to release another album titled YBNL. The album had several hit singles like ‘First of All’, ‘Voice of the street’, ‘Ilefo Iluminati’ ‘Stupid love’ ‘Durosoke’ and ‘Owotabua’. Once again, the album which featured several major Nigerian artistes like Tiwa Savage, Dammy Krane, Kayswitch, Samklef, Davido and a couple of up and coming artistes, was well received.
Another album titled “Baddest Guy Ever Liveth’ was released in 2013 which featured hit singles like ‘Anifowose’ ‘Story for the Gods’ and ‘Yemi my Lover’ and in 2014, he released his latest album, Street OT, in which he featured Don Jazzy for ‘Skelemba’ and Viktoh for ‘Up in the Club.
One attribute that has helped Olamide stay afloat in his musical career is his ability to stay away from scandals and his strong work ethic. This is evident in the number of albums he has been able to release within a short time of launching his musical career.
Olamide has been nominated for several national and international awards, some of which include
- Artiste of the Year,
- Best Rap Album,
- Album of the Year,
- Best Rap Single,
- 2014 Channel O Music Video Awards ‘Most Gifted West’,
- 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards “Best Rap Act of the Year”,
- MTV Africa Music Awards 2014 “Best Hip Hop” and “Male Musician of the Year”,
- City People Entertainment Awards “Most Popular Song of the Year” “Rap Album of the Year” and “World’s Best Male Artiste”,
- World’s Music Awards “World’s Best Live Act” ,“World’s Best Entertainment of the Year” and “Video of the Year”,
- Nigeria Music Video Awards “Best Afro Hip Hop Video”, “Song of the Year”, “Best Street Hip Hop Artiste, “Best Rap Single”,
- The Headies 2013 “Artiste of the Year”, “Lyricist on the Roll”, “Best Rap Album”, “Album of the Year”, Best Album of the Year”, “Best Rap Act of the Year” and “Music Video of the Year”.
Olamide won several of the award nominations.
Apart from being a good musician and rapper, Olamide is also a father. He fathered a son with his long time girlfriend Adebunkunmi Aisha Suleiman. The christening ceremony had many high profile Nigerians and Celebrities in attendance, including the immediate past Governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Raji Fashola. The couple is rumored to be expecting baby number 2.